Friday, August 8, 2008

Mushroom White Wine Cream Sauce

So what do I do with my leftover heavy cream? Remember - I used a bunch to make that creamy tomato bisque? Well, I figured that some sort of cream sauce would be just the thing. I did a Google search (SORRY, Julie!) on "heavy cream sauce" or something like that. I took a recipe I found and made it my own because, of course, if I'm going to make some sort of delicious sauce, it's got to have mushrooms in it. Incidentally, this was sooo rich and I ate it all (which was too much for one person). As a result, I actually felt kind of nauseous. I guess that's not a great thing to say when describing a recipe - "it made me sick", but seriously...all I'm saying is that this is extremely rich and while very delicious, it should be eaten in moderation. Easier said than done because it's really, really yummy. Here it is - enjoy!

White Wine Mushroom Cream Sauce

Ingredients:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 clove shallot, minced
2 Tbsp Butter
1 package sliced mushrooms
¼ to ½ cup dry white wine
½ cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Finely chopped fresh parsley (optional, but it does add a nice fresh taste and it looks so pretty)

Directions:
Saute minced garlic and/or shallot in butter over low/medium heat for 2 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms (whatever amount you like – I used one package from Trader Joe’s). Sautee over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms change color. You can’t really overcook them – it just depends on how you like your mushrooms. Remember to keep the heat low enough not to burn the garlic and shallot.

Add ¼ cup to ½ cup white wine (I didn’t measure it). Let it reduce for 5 to 10 minutes, or until there’s just a few tablespoons of liquid left in the pan. Turn off heat. Stir in ½ cup heavy cream, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in chopped fresh parsley and serve over noodles.

Incidentally, I a friend just told me about a "grilled peach" recipe that I will have to try and share with you... I will - stay tuned...

No comments: