Saturday, August 30, 2008

Classic Peanut Butter Cookies

Mmmmm.....cookies. Speaking of mmmmm, I saw a baby "onesie" today that read, "mmmmm....boobies". Very funny, I think!

Anyhow, we will not be talking about that here. I'm talkin' cookies - peanut butter cookies. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter cookies in general. I made these because my husband, Jay, loves them. And, he did love these. The recipe I got online said to only bake them for about 10 minutes (some suggested even less), so that they're soft. They say that they are soft when they come out of the oven, and then the outside firms up, while the inside stays soft. My experience was that they were soft and stayed soft. My hubby still loves them, but they're not the firmness that I would choose. That's why I recommend baking them 10 to 15 minutes (or even more, so long as you keep an eye on them and don't let them burn). But, of course, if you like soft peanut butter cookies (and a lot of people do), then bake them for 10 minutes or slightly less.

Here's the recipe:

CLASSIC PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

INGREDIENTS
1 cup unsalted butter
1 ½ cups crunchy peanut butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

DIRECTIONS
Cream together butter, peanut butter and sugars. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir into batter. Put batter in refrigerator for 1 hour.
Roll into 1 inch balls and dip each ball in granulated sugar. With sugared side up, put on baking sheets. Flatten each ball with a fork, making a criss-cross pattern. Bake in a preheated 350 or 375 degrees F oven for about 10 to 15 minutes or until cookies begin to brown.

No comments: