Monday, February 2, 2009

Old Fashioned Meatloaf

This came straight out of the Better Homes and Gardens “New Cook Book” (mine the 1981 edition). A lot of times, those simple, old-fashioned cookbooks have the best recipes (“just like Mom used to make”, so to speak). Of course, my mom made Hungarian food, but that’s another story. Yes, I promise to share some Hungarian recipes if and when I make them.

The only thing I changed was that I doubled the amount of sauce. I also added a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar. I tasted it and it just seemed like it needed more sugar. But then, I like stuff pretty sweet. Don’t worry about it, though, because the amounts in this recipe are ALREADY ADJUSTED for my preferences.

(As always, my notes are in blue)

OLD FASHIONED MEATLOAF

INGREDIENTS:

Meatloaf:
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I used almost ½ cup – it’s a preference thing)
2 Tbsp snipped parsley (or 1Tbsp dried parsley)
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp ground sage
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
Sauce:
1/2 cup catsup
6 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp dry mustard (or 2 Tbsp prepared mustard)

DIRECTIONS:

Combine all ingredients. Mix well. Pat into a 5 ½ cup ring mold, unmold onto shallow, greased baking pan, and bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes (OR pat mixture into a loaf pan and bake for 1 ¼ hours). Spoon off excess fat. Combine catsup, brown sugar and mustard. Spread over meat. Return to oven for 10 minutes. Makes 6 servings.

No comments: